Purpose. The General Message form is used by:
- Incident dispatchers to record incoming messages which cannot be
orally transmitted to the intended recipients.
- Incident Command Post and other incident personnel to transmit messages (e.g., resource order, incident name change, other ICS coordination issues, etc.) to
the Incident Communications Center for transmission via radio or
telephone to the addressee.
- Incident personnel to send any message or notification to incident
personnel which requires hard-copy delivery.
Initiation of Form. The General Message form may be initiated
by incident dispatchers and any other personnel on an incident.
Distribution. Upon completion, the General Message may be:
- Delivered to the addressee.
- And/or delivered to the incident Communication Center for
- The ICS 213 is a three-part form, typically using carbon paper. The sender will complete Part 1 of the form and send Parts 2 and 3 to the recipient. The recipient will complete Part 2 and return Part 3 to the sender.
- A copy of the ICS 213 should be sent to and maintained within the Documentation Unit.
- Contact information for the sender and receiver can be added for communications purposes to confirm resource orders. Refer to 213RR example (Appendix B)The 213RR is a Resource Request Message form.
Instructions for Completing the General
Message (ICS Form 213).
|Incident Name (Optional)
||Enter the name assigned to the incident. This block is optional and is only on the 2010 version.
||Indicate Unit/Person the General Message is intended for.
||Indicate the location where the Unit/Person is located, e.g.,
Ground Support Unit Leader, Simpson Camp, Communications, etc.
||Indicate appropriate designation and location of sender.
||Fill in if applicable.
||List the date and time.
||Briefly complete. Think through your message before writing it
down. Try to be as concise as possible.
||This section is intended to be used by the Unit/Person who receives
the message to reply to your message.
||Record the date and time of reply.
||Record signature and title of person replying.
If signature is your call sign, add your unit number.
||Since the form does not have a place for a message number, place a message number in the top heading to the right of "GENERAL MESSAGE." This number can be one you generate (use at least three digits and use leading zero's) or one generated by the message center.
|White Copy /
|Both copies are sent by the person who initiates the message.
||Retained by the person who initiates the message.
||May be returned to the person who initiates the message.
We hope you find this information useful with your public service events and RACES/ARES operations.
Garland RACES/ARES Informaton - 7/7/2006
Last updated 12.28.2010